Wednesday 8 May 2013

Goals, goals, goals...

So I've been thinking long and hard about the goals or "mini milestones" and a "major milestone" that I want to achieve while losing weight and getting fitter. Now this is not an easy thing for me to do because I'm not really one for setting goals at all. Not really. Not that I willing to say out loud anyway. Mainly because I'm convinced that once it's out there I'll look like a fool if I don't achieve it.

So this task has been quite hard.

I was quite alright with goals that focused on my weightloss. They were easy. I know where I want to be, ultimately. Whether it's realistic for me to want to lose 20kg in the next 12 weeks, or not. Or, I don't know, 50 kg in total, seeing as I have struggled for a very long time with my weight, only time will tell. All I know is that any weight I lose will be wonderful! And if I can crack the 100kg I'll be over the moon!
My main problem with the other goals is that deep down I feel like I'll be unfit forever. I laughed at the thought of being able to run, let alone run 1km! So I've been thinking...and talking with my ever supportive hubby. And slowly some ideas have been forming. Then today I put it to the group on Facebook that I'm a member of. Mainly wanting to see what other people were thinking of for their own goals. Maybe to get some ideas for me to use as well. Anyway, a conversation ensued and suddenly I've agreed to tackle the "1000 steps" up in the Dandenongs!!!

OMG!

Not only did I agree to this, we made a plan, we decided to do on a monthly basis! This way we can measure our progress and see our improvements in fitness.
Now this really terrifies me! To be perfectly honest. I have heard of so many other people doing this climb, but have never been there myself. Hubby and I were talking about it recently and he agreed with me that I need to be fitter and stronger before I tackle it, as I have a dodgy knee, and don't want to damage it. Now it looks like I'm going to have a go a whole lot sooner than I was planning!
The best bit about this is that now my hubby, my aunt and my sisters are going to join me in doing this. Maybe not  each time, but it will be great to have them along for the climb. (Even if it's to carry me down to the waiting stretcher!)

I promise to let you know how I go with this.

Cross your fingers that I make it out alive ;-P

3 comments:

  1. I'll be there! Maybe not every month unless we can do a Sunday, but I'll be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found it really hard to make up my mind about milestones as well. I'm glad that you've found something that you can use! Br proud of any little step and any little loss because it all adds up in the end!

    Also don't worry about not being able to run 1km, that's why there is a beginner option, and you know what? Soon you'll be running that 1km laughing!

    ReplyDelete